God: “You’re Gonna Do What?! LOL”

~~ Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV84)~~   “...For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ...”



by Carley Cooper

"...and you thought that plan would work?!"

Microsoft Office Copyright Free Images
OK, so here is the plan for my life.  Please, pay close attention to this people because we are going to hit the ground running.  Nothing or no one is going to get in my way.  First, I am getting married to a wonderful man.  He will be tall, dark and super sexy.  He will have a wonderful sense of humor, and a great job earning a very good salary.  He will be my best friend and a fantastic lover.  He will have all his own teeth and hair; and worship my body and the ground I walk on.  We will spend our first few years traveling the world together.  Then we will have 4 kids; and they will be 2 boys and 2 girls, since every girl should have a sister as a BFF and every boy should have a brother for the same.  Since, pets are one of childhood’s greatest pleasures; our family will be complete with the addition of a dog, a hamster, and a couple of parakeets.  Every child should have a dog.  Finally, the last step is a great career that will be the ultimate in fulfillment.  It will be so enjoyable that it will not even feel like work.  Once these things are all done... and in that order, then we will be able to live a very healthy no-one-ever-gets-sick, happily ever after life.  Sounds like an awesome plan, if I do say so myself!  Does any of it ring a bell with you?  Sound even a little bit familiar?   

Well, here we are many years later (but wait...not too many.  I’m not that old.  LOL) and it seems that somewhere along the line when I turned my head for a minute my plan ran into a glitch.  Somewhere in the building of my life, the blue prints seem to have been misplaced and forgotten.  Things have not turned out like I had hoped.  Not even close!  So what really happened?  Well, it took me years longer than I planned to meet someone and get married.  Only for it to be short lived, and ended up with a divorce hearing on my 30th birthday.  That certainly was not my idea or my choice, but I had to go along with it... both the divorce and the hearing date.  The babies did not have the opportunity to be born due to medical issues, failed attempts, and ever-off timing. 

Oh, and that wonderful career?  Well, that was a big stumbling block because I had no idea whatsoever what I wanted to do.  I did not go to university because no one told me that you could go before having every detail of your life planned out in advance.  I seriously thought I was the only one, and I was embarrassed by that so I told no one.  I turned down two acceptance letters to college because of this.  I was under the impression that if you were to going to school, you knew from day one why you were going and what the course plan was.  No one told me that you could go and figure out the details later.  Then, as time went on I always felt that I was too old, and it was too expensive.  Instead I chose a small community college that provided me with a diploma for skills that were already out of date when I completed the program.

Another unexpected and unplanned spark that burned all my life plans turned out to be health issues, which took over my life with a life of its own.  Then, the final fuel to the fire was that I ended up in some abusive relationships.  That certainly was not in my original plan either.

So where does my life sit today?  Well, I have survived a long string of traumas.  They are too much to go into here.  I intend on writing a book about it.  Wow!  Me, writing a book?!  I am told all the time that I have some natural talent for writing.  I take it as a wonderful compliment, but who would have ever thought?!  English-Lit was my worst subject in high school.  I have also been invited, recently, to be a guest speaker next year at a women’s retreat.  Me, a guest speaker?!  I am social-phobic, yet I am excited about this!  Hmmmm... isn’t that a contradiction?!  Anyway, I am being told that it is time for me to start sharing my story to inspire others.  Again, me an inspiration?!  If it wasn’t for the fact that these things are such a surprise to me, I would laugh at them!

I have been told quite a few times in recent weeks that I have affected people, in a positive way.  Along the route that my life has actually taken, I picked up a lot of knowledge and experience that can help people improve their lives by healthy eating.  I have another, smaller book, project that I am working on about healthy living.  It’s more of a booklet or a paper actually.  However, I have several people that are already interested in reading it, including a couple of people who work at the local hospital in the mental health department where they hope to share it with patients.  They are amazed at how I have improved my life and health through the discoveries that I have made by finding and changing patterns, and changing my diet.  There have been a few people who have told me that they are also noticing patterns now and changing things that are helping them improve their health and life, because of what I have told them about myself. 

I have another friend who is chasing a dream of opening a Christian Cafe / Karaoke Bar here in Barrie, Ontario because of encouragement that I gave her to never give up.  I never would have thought, on my own, to even consider that I could have such an impact on other people.  I feel such humility, and so very blessed by this.

I have no idea what the future holds for me.  Will I ever be a wife?  A mother?  A career woman?  An entrepreneur?  Only time will tell.  I never would have thought, or would have wanted; to plan such things as being a writer, or a guest speaker, or someone to provide health advice to others.  But these things are on my plate right now as very real possibilities. 

So many times in life we say things like “If only we had more money, we could buy that item we need so much”, and then we pray for it.  We never once stop to consider asking God what His plans are for our lives.  Whether we realize it or not, God is the one in control of our lives.  We either go along with His plan letting the Holy Spirit lead the way to happiness, and a future brighter than anything we could have ever come up with; or we try our own path and run into trials, troubles and problems.  Granted I know, and agree with, the thoughts that you are probably having right now that this can be easier said than done.  It is in our nature to want o be in control of our own lives.  Sometimes, I actually look up to God and ask Him “God, surely You can’t be serious about this?  So, I guess You think this is funny don’t you?!”  The truth is that my original plan would have led me to be a child of the world, and not of God.  My original plan did not include Jesus as a member of my family, let alone to take His rightful position as Head of my family!  My happiness would have been completely dependent on the world falling into place in a way that I needed it to.  Thinking about that now, really is funny!  How often does that happen?  My original plan was completely self-focused.  It did not include helping others in any way.  If I had followed my own plan, I would not have an impact on other people; and more importantly, I would not have a relationship with Jesus right now.  Neither, true happiness or my salvation would be possible.  It seems that old saying is true, “if you wanna make God laugh, just tell Him your plans”.



~~ Dear God ~~  Thank You, that long before I was ever born, You had my life planned out for me.  Thank You for not letting me follow my own plan.  I am so very blessed to have gone through the trials and traumas that I have because they have brought me into a relationship with Jesus; and as such I will get to spend eternity with Him.  My future has never looked brighter.  Please continue to use me to bless others; and to let the Holy Spirit lead me, and mould my life.  I am anxiously waiting to see what wonderful blessings you have in store for me next.  In Jesus name, AMEN.



33 comments :

  1. On of my favorite verses of all time is Jeremiah 29:11. You're right, we can make plans, but God holds the plan book. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bryan for the feedback. I'm glad you liked it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I have always been convinced of God's sense of humor. One time I was standing at a bus stop, and it started raining, but only in a three foot circumference of exactly where I was standing. I literally looked up, and started laughing - lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. JRSMITH775 - Oh my gosh... that has to be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! Thanks for sharing that. That would have made an awesome 'Kodak' moment! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. If He didn't have a GSOH, we wouldn't be here, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL KASEYCOFF... you have a very good point there! Sometimes when I've found myself in a sticky mess or an embarrassing situation of some sort, I think I can hear Him laughing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. God definitely has a sense of humor. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, He certainly does, Joette. I'm happy so about that. I can imagine that we would get ourselves into much worse messes than we do without God's sense of humor! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing Hope. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so very welcome PMCOPPI10. As long as people see my messages as hope, than I am doing my ministry well. Thanks for the feedback. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carley, your blogs are well written and well thought out. Those who don't take the time to read them are simply not blessed. Thank you for writing. My life has certainly not turned out the way I intended. And isn't it wonderful that the Lord is in control and makes of our lives what He wants even without our help. Ravyna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Ravyna, you are a blessing right now. I was doubting myself about my work. You are the 2nd person in the last 10 minutes to give me some reassurance about that. God doesn't want me to give up. I feel so humble though. I feel like it's God that does the writing. I sat down this morning to write a blog. I hadn't had time in 2 weeks to write one and it was bothering me. I wasn't feeling well and my head wasn't clear. I prayed and asked God to give me a blog to write, to use me to write an article, and it happened. I started typing and out it came. It happens to me a lot. When I'm writing. I think God is just using me to put things down into words. He is the one who truly gets the credit, but thanks. BIG HUGS for you right now for helping me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carley, I have to agree with the others here, I have come to believe that God does have a sense of humor. And from experience gives us what we pray for from our hearts. Many times I have thanked God for giving me something that I had prayed from the heart only to dismiss it when it did come because it didn't fit with MY plans at the time. It is so true, God's timing is not ours. ( its better ) but to realize that it may be too late. Then many times I have cried at his feet because I turned away from his help when he offered. How hard headed I have been. But He still loves me and doesn't give up. Praise God for that.

    Great post , I needed to read it today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Connecting... I am so glad you liked it... 'cause I needed to hear that today as well. Thanks. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so well said!
    When the plans in my head don't go as planned, I'm not a happy camper.
    All the while I should be asking about Gods plan.
    Mmmmm...that could save me a lot of growing pains. :-)
    And yes. God does have a sense of humor.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the feedback SPARKLISE; and thanks for sharing. You are awesome, as always. BIG HUGS for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. God knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the feedback FINFIN2. I appreciate your reading my blog so very much. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that passage from Jeremiah. I had it in my bible notes and was just reviewing this the other day while looking for some new SparkHuddle material. Joyce Meyer refers to this passage occasionally. SWEETLIPS used this verse in Jeremiah as her first scripture passage in the CELEBRATE LIFE challenge that I joined in early September.

    I confess you had me worried when you started placing conditions on what your personal plans were going to be: plans according to Carley. I faithfully read through your blog and enjoyed the humor you shared in how God must look at some of our plans. We all-to-often are guilty of trying to manage our lives and goals under OUR terms and desires. Isn’t it great that WE don’t have to figure it all out? We need to learn how to give it up to the Lord in Prayer with a trusting and abiding spirit. Believe me, if we continue to fall within our own ways, God seems to find ways to test us over and over again until we get it right. I strive to learn how to daily study the Word of God for inspiration, while listening carefully for God’s will and purpose for my life.

    I believe it was Solomon who prayed for wisdom and discernment and was richly rewarded by God. While the reward should not be our inspiration the giver of the reward should be God's doing. If we pray according to God’s will, then it is not our prayers, but the Holy Spirit in us that moved us to such great words. If we write according to God’s will, then it is our Lord and Savior who ultimately inspires others to come to accept the truth being spoken. This is my prayer: Whatever we do in response to God’s will, give us the humility to recognize that it truly is GOD IN US. Praise God for all we have and continue to be given. May we be the example of God’s love that he would have us be . . . to the point that others want what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so very much Evelyn for the feedback and advice. Now that I am a Christian and I am seeing things so much clearer, it makes me wonder how I ever thought I could make plans and have them workout without God in my life. My life BC (Before Christianity) and my life now seems like they are lifetimes apart. I'm glad that my journey has led me here. I wouldn't want to go back to that old life style now for sure. The thing about living in the dark, is that we don't know we are in the dark. It's only by the Light of Jesus that we can see that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Carley. You truly have been a vehicle God has used for good. Thank you for hearing that call and accepting that calling. There is great responsibility to research God's word to be adequately inspired to the point where so many others want what you have or simply begin calling on Christ as their Lord and Savior. You really do have great impact!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Evelyn. Right now you are the one with the impact because telling me that means so very much to me. Thank you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. To God be the glory... I'm sure he must be smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. PATTYCAKE17October 26, 2011

    Great blog!I loved it. It was such a confirmation of my life's journey. Just about NOTHING has gone according to my plan. So much so, that years ago I stopped planning and then I felt badly, because I thought there must be something wrong with me not to plan my future; everyone else does! I guess I just saw the writing on the wall and figured it out in time not to set my sights on clouds of vapor.My favorite saying is the one about making lemonade out of lemons, because that's the only way I know how to live anymore! When something takes a weird turn I always think,"Okay.Where is God in this and what is He telling me?" And yes, He's always in it and yes, I usualy "get it" because I've come to expect the unexpected.HaHa! Even so, He always surprises me, because He definitely does have a sense of humor. Thank God!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. PATTYCAKE17 - Thank you so very much for sharing your story. It feels comforting to know that there are others who are on a completely different track than where they started out or planned to go. Thanks for the blessing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BRENDAJOYCE64October 26, 2011

    Carley, you inspire me so much with every blog. I am not bipolar, but I do suffer depression and bullimia. You mentioned that you changed your diet, and it really helped you. Can you let me know what you did, and if there are any diet/nutrition books you can recommend, please do so. Keep Writing - You are great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. BRENDAJOYCE64 - Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. I feel such humility to have wonderful readers like you who bless me. Thank you. My diet changes have changed my life drastically. The 'nut shell' version is that I have cut out most processed foods, white flour products, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, dyes, etc, and fat-free products. That's because I have managed (through a lot of tracking and trial and error testing) to pinpoint some foods that are trigger foods for me. Foods that trigger bad episodes. I have cut out those foods completely and it has improved my health a lot. Other peoples trigger foods may be different than mine. But cutting out anything unnatural is just a good healthy thing to do. Of course working out also helps a lot. I've been through a lot of therapy, counseling, and research to learn how to change my thinking patterns as well to positive thinking. I read anything and everything I can get my hands on about improving my health, physically and emotionally; but like I said most of it was by tracking lots of details about my life on a long term basis and then finding patterns. Those patterns helped me learn what to change.

    ReplyDelete
  28. QUILTINGBUDDYOctober 26, 2011

    Yes, God's sense of humor is truly LoL funny! Thanks for sharing the blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the feedback QUILTINGBUDDY. I feel blessed that you enjoyed it. Thanks. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you SHOAPIE. I am so blessed to have loyal readers like you. Thanks. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Carley, see I am not the only one who is positive about your blogs. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you Ravyna. HUGS. I hope you have an awesome weekend

    ReplyDelete