Sliding On the Ice

~~ Psalm 25:15-16 (NIV) ~~   My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare. Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.



by Carley Cooper

Playful Baby Polar Bear Sliding On the Ice
Free Source Photo.  No Copyrights Claimed
Sometimes it seems that no matter how many times I go through an experience; how many times God teaches me a lesson... and sometimes I even pass the test!... I still feel like it’s in one ear and out the other.  I wonder if this frustrates God much.  Personally, I get irritated when I have to repeat myself over and over to get a point across.  My patience level is limited.  I seriously can’t imagine how I don’t, sometimes, get on His very last nerve. 

Christmas is almost here.  I am honestly trying harder than I have in many years to keep a good outlook and to keep my focus away from the fact that I don’t have what others have to celebrate the season with.  There are many moments when I can honestly see a possibility that I could have a great Christmas without all that.  This is more than I’ve been able to see in past years; so this is a step forward.  I am truly thankful for that.  This morning, just when I needed it the most; I got advice from three different sources. 

First there was an inspirational message from a dear online friend by the name of Ravyna, who gives me so much advice and support when I need it.  She said “You are a Princess of the King, the Lord of Lords.  He promises to never leave you or forsake you.  He is always with you.  Always by your side, always there to listen to your needs.  Remember, Jesus looks at you and sees a princess, and wants you to rest in him.  Blessings.”  Honestly, this reminder that Jesus is the answer escaped me at first.  I saw it as meaning “as long as I’m lonely it means that I don’t love Jesus enough” or “if I truly love Jesus, I wouldn’t feel any loneliness”.  But, I am lonely sometimes.  And, some of those times, so much that I can have physical pain throughout my body.  During these times, the loneliness not only overwhelms me but so does the guilt.  I have overwhelming guilt over the fact that I feel lonely, because I think that it means I’m failing Jesus somewhere.  It’s hard for me to remember that these are lies whispered to me by the enemy.  That’s the problem with lies, deception and falsehoods... as long as you’re inside them looking out you can’t see that they are not real.  It’s only from the outside looking in that you can see the true picture.

Secondly, there was the ever present advice and support of my angel and friend (who I wrote about in an article called “Angels From Heaven”).  He told me this morning that “Loneliness is a legitimate feeling.  Jesus was surrounded by 12 of his friends most of his ministry and when he went to pray shortly before his death he invited his closest to pray with him.  Loneliness is an appropriate feeling to have.  Where we get into trouble is  how we at times seek to fulfill that need.  Jesus is with us all the time but he recognizes that we also need other people.  That is why he has given us Christian community.”  He finished with “Got to go for lunch.  There are some deviled eggs that are waiting for me in the fridge.  Have a good one.  As the shrink on Mash has said ‘Take my advice.  Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.’

Finally, there was a devotional message by Samantha Reed of Proverbs 31 Ministries called “All By Myself”.  If I didn’t know better, I would have thought she took the passage from my own journal.  I don’t mean the piece she wrote; but the story she told.  It is my story.  It is the story of so many people who spend the holidays hurting and lonely.  If the holidays are difficult for you, I highly recommend that you read this article.  She reminded me, again, that I have to focus on Jesus.  He will lead the way to a brighter future. 

Even though I am physically alone; and at times that hurts emotionally, mentally and physically; Jesus is always with me.  That doesn’t mean that I will have to be totally cool with being single forever and give up on my dreams.  It means that I have all the hope that Jesus has to offer that He has a plan for my future that is better than any dream or plan I could come up with.  God knows my needs down to the tiniest detail.  He created me and He loves me.  He can, and will, and does supply all of my needs... and that includes the dreams that He has put on my heart.  I am thankful that God has the patience to keep telling me things over and over again; to keep reminding me of lessons that I’ve already learned.  Hopefully these reminders, and these people that he has put in my life to help me, will get me through another Christmas season; or at least another day.  Though, more realistically; with the way I tend to fall and keep wanting to focus on myself instead of Jesus, it’s more  likely to be advice to carry me through the next fifteen minutes.  After that God may need to send me more encouragement.  But, I know if I need it that I will get it; because He never fails me when I need Him the most. 

So, at least for today... who wants to go sliding on the ice with me?



~~ Dear Lord ~~    Help me to keep my eyes focused on Jesus for, I am lonely and afflicted.  Thank You for being so patient, merciful and gracious to me.  Help my heart to be free from the torment that I seem to be determined to carry with me.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



23 comments :

  1. Thank you. Your blog really hit home for me. Now I know I must "walk the walk". Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing that with me. To know that what I write (which is because of what I go through) helps someone honestly does help me feel that it's all worth it. God will bless us both for it. Thanks. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW ! Your blog was such a blessing to me today.

    Bless You, for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. FRANCESHD - thank you for the wonderful feedback. It is you that has blessed me with it. Thank you so very much. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not mean to make you feel guilt by my comments that Jesus is always with you and sees you as a Princess. We cannot do anything to remove the loneliness. It is real. I was not trying to discount yours. I can feel extremely lonely even with a room full of people around me. Only that Jesus is the reason Christmas exists, and He wants you to know that He is there. We can never fill in ourselves what Jesus wants to fill. You have become special to me dear friend, and I pray for you often. Blessings, Grace, Peace, Joy. Love Ravyna

    ReplyDelete
  6. RAVYNA - I don't think you made me feel the guilt. That guilt is something I have been fighting every time I get lonely for years. It just keeps coming back at me whenever I feel lonely. The rest of my day has been awesome, so God is good, and He never fails to make me see the light. Thanks for prayers dear friend. BIG HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Thank you for taking the time out to write such an encouraging blog. You are such a sweet lady. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have over come the world. John 16:33

    Be Encouraged and take good care. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. TRACYZABELLEDecember 22, 2011

    So true we are never truly alone! Merry Christmas Carley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tracy. You are awesome. I hope you have a very blessed Christmas. BIG HUGZZZZ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous... Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for the encouragement. I hope you have a very blessed Christmas season. BIG HUGZZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI THANKS FOR SHARING GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very welcome SLIMCHERRIE. I hope you have a very blessed Christmas as well. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    by Sharlyn Castillo on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 at 6:39pm

    Captive

    Psalm 107
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. SLIMCHERRIE... Thank you soooo much for even more encouragement! You've brightened my day. HUGZZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. RSSSLHB - You are so very welcome. I hope you have a very blessed Christmas season. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  16. CHRIMSONFYREDecember 22, 2011

    thank you for sharing, this has been a difficult Christmas financially and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  17. CHRIMSONFYRE - Thank you for the feedback and thank you for sharing. I hope that my article has helped you, if only in some small way. I wish you a very blessed Christmas and that you can feel the peace of God with you. BIG HUGZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christmas is a weird time for me also.
    No matter how many presents I buy,no matter what I do,I feel it's never enough.
    I feel it could have been better. I always have a sense of not measuring up.
    I hate the fact that i'm obese and that everybody will be watching how much and what i eat.(They do,you know)!
    Every year I tell my husband the only gift I want is not to binge any more-but he never gets it for me. ;-)
    Last year I remember feeling really excited for Christmas.
    This year,I don't really care. In a way I do. But in a way,I'll be glad when it's over.
    I heard a commercial on the radio and it said that Santa would be bringing presents to all the good little girls and boys.
    That comment really made me sad because if children don't get presents because of their parents circumstances or they don't get what they want ,they must feel like they're not good enough,of even bad.
    Why are we doing this to them?
    Sorry for all this gloom and doom. I'm feeling kind of down this morning. :-o
    Sometimes i'm lonely too even if i have a family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SPARKLISE - My very dear SparkFriend... don't appologize for letting your feelings out, and I am honored that you shared them with me. Thank you for that. I can so very much relate to what you've said. It's been years since I felt I've measured up. Mostly it's because of my circumstances. I was telling my Mom just the other day about it. She said (because of my financial situation) that people understand if you can't give much or anything. I said to her "Well, I'm happy that they understand, but that doesn't make me feel better. I want to give gifts." Well, since then, God helped me with that too. It's a whole other story. If I could sit and write all the awesome stories I have about how God works in my life, I wouldn't have time to live any life because I'd be writing all the time. lol Anyway, trust God and be patient. Everything works in His time, but the wait is so very much worth it. God bless. I will pray that you feel His peace with you during this Christmas season. BIG HUGZZZZZZZZ.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so very welcome MYBULLDOGS. I hope you and your wonderful doggies have a very blessed Christmas season. BIG HUGZZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  21. It truly is comforting to know we have a God who is with us 24/7. May we continue to see his plan for us through the Word we study regularly to help alleviate those times when we allow loneliness to take foothold of our lives.

    In the meantime, may you have neighbors, friends, and loved ones wanting you to join them during this season when making quality connections is key. Merry Christmas, Carley!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Evelyn. God is good. I have great support in the last two years, for the first time in my life. I have friends, great medical support, medications that are actually working and great spiritual counseling. I never had any of that before in my life. I am slowly learning how to reach out to these people when I need it the most. It's all still so new to me sometimes, but I'm doing better every day. My pastor is my rock on most days. Other than this one crash this week which lasted less than a day; I've been doing very well for a while now. God is working in me for sure. It's so close to Christmas, which is usually a difficult time, and I'm doing very well.

    I hope that you have very Blessed Christmas. May this Christmas season and the new year bring you the blessings that God has in store for you and all of His peace. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete